Four more cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
have been confirmed among the local population bringing the case count in Ghana
to 136, with three deaths as of yesterday.
The new cases were detected from the regular
surveillance systems of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), especially through its
contact tracing efforts.
The case count for local infections as of
Thursday stood at 54, but four more cases were confirmed by the GHS on Friday
to bring the total number for local transmission to 58 cases.
A patient, who is believed to be a Chinese
being treated for COVID-19, has fully recovered, while one of the patients who
was in critical condition is now stable.
The death toll has also remained the same since
Wednesday when the third victim, wife of a retired two star general of the
Ghana Navy, passed away while in isolation receiving treatment at the 37
All the three cases that unfortunately
succumbed to the disease were aged and had underlying chronic medical
conditions, according to health authorities.
The health authorities say 14 cases out of the
remaining 54 cases are being managed at home while the rest are responding well
to treatment on admission in isolation.
“They are awaiting their test results and will
be discharged when the results are negative,” the GHS said in a statement.
Mandatory Quarantine Cases
The case count among travellers under mandatory
quarantine, who have been tested, stayed at 78.
So far, the great majority of the confirmed
cases among this group were Ghanaians, who returned home from countries where
the disease was prevalent.
However, no deaths or recovery has been
recorded among those in the two-week mandatory quarantine.
In respect of contact tracing, a total of 1,006
contacts have been identified and are being tracked, an increase from the
previous days’ of 970.
Out of these, 204 have completed the 14-day
mandatory follow up.
There has been an overwhelming support from the
private sector and other individuals since the President called on the local
industry to partner the government in the COVID-19 fight.
Various industry players including
manufactures, business people and politicians have since taken the initiative
to donate various medical items and equipment to the Ministry of Health (MoH)
to augment the government’s efforts.
One of the country’s pharmaceutical giants, Tobinco
Group of companies, yesterday made a donation worth GH¢251,000 to the lead
agency in the COVID-19 outbreak response management of the country, MoH.
The donation comprised boxes of facemasks, hand
sanitizers, model handwashing equipment, vitamin C and other products to boost
the immune system.
Before handing over the items to the sector
minister, Tobinco Group CEO Nana Amo Tobin I said, “We have seen how the
government is fighting the pandemic and it is our duty to support the
government to fight this disease.”
He further noted that the group would extend
the gesture to other health facilities across the country, especially those in
the rural communities where the most vulnerable live.
The Minister of Health, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, who
received the items on behalf of the government, said the group had demonstrated
that it could be relied upon in times of crisis.
“Now almost everywhere in the world people are
in crisis and this is not the time to go begging from Europe, America or from
China and I want to believe that this gesture will be emulated by other
corporate institutions,” he said.
“Government is also procuring equipment and
items for distribution as we are now moving into an area where we are getting
people to be treated … we believe that wherever we take people, we will be ready
to take care of them,” he said.
Two indigenous companies – Despite Group &
Special Group of Companies – also demonstrated their support with a hefty
donation of US$100,000 to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi.
The money is to enable the management of KATH to
acquire all the necessary tools and medications needed to combat the COVID-19 in
the Ashanti Region.
Dr. Osei Kwame aka Despite and Dr. Ernest Ofori
Sarpong, who made the joint presentation, said the selection of KATH was
informed by the hospital’s services to not only residents of the Ashanti Region
but also those from the middle belt and northern part of Ghana.
The Member of Parliament for Assin Central
Constituency and Group Chairman for Kencity Media Ltd, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong,
on Tuesday also made a hefty donation of several medical supplies to hospitals
across Ghana to help with the fight against COVID-19.
The items included 100,000 pieces of facemasks,
gloves and 100 gallons of hand sanitizers. They are to be
used by frontline workers in all 16 regional hospitals in Ghana. Besides, he
has donated about 200 hospital beds towards the COVID-19.
Other companies including GCB Bank, E-Tang and Ghandour Cosmetics also made donations to support the COVID-19 response management efforts.
By Jamila Akweley Okertchiri